How to make Paper Lanterns for Chinese New Year!
Happy Chinese New Year!
To welcome in the Year of the Tiger, why not enjoy this fun and easy activity with your child and make some paper lanterns? Red and yellow are great colour choices for Chinese New Year, but you can create whatever you like!
You will need:
- Paper or thin card (A4 works well)
- Tape or a stapler
- Anything to get creative with like paint, glitter and tissue paper!
1. Cut off one end of a sheet of paper or thin card (A4 works well) to use as the handle later.
2. Decorate the paper however you like! Get creative with paints, pens, tissue paper and glitter.
3. Fold your paper in half and cut equal lengths from the folded side, making sure not to cut all the way through to the opposite side. You might need to help your child with this step, depending on their age.
4. Unfold the paper and roll the solid edges together to make a circle at each end (so your cut lines are standing vertical). Hold each end in place with some tape or a stapler.
5. Take your handle and tape it to the inside of the top of the lantern.
- Decorate separate strips of paper to add some variation to the top and bottom of the lantern
- Create streamers from the bottom of the lantern with tissue paper.
- Sit your finished lanterns on a shelf and place an electric tea light inside to really bring your lantern to life!
Have fun getting creative with it & have a great Chinese New Year!